Sunday, July 27, 2014

Vacation is Over?

Felix has peer pressured me into blogging, so here it is.

            The past few weeks I’ve said, even while in the airport, “it still hasn’t hit me yet,” referring to living in Sydney, Australia. But the past couple of nights, it has hit me. I’ve seen some beautiful beaches and spectacular skylines this week while taking a ferry down Sydney Harbour, walking across the Sydney Harbour Bridge, swimming at Bondi Beach and looking over the city 31 floors from the ground.
            First up was the Bondi Beach walk with the other international students. Once we got off the bus and I saw the ocean all I wanted to do was swim because I haven’t been in the ocean in a year. But I had to wait to get my moment. It didn’t help my patience at all when every single picture taken looked like a postcard and when the water’s perfectly blue and not filled with seaweed. After grabbing some grub and Moo’s Gourmet Burgers and feeling like a rich Californian at the Icebergs Swimming Club I got my chance and it was glorious. Even in this thing Australians call ‘winter’ the water was refreshing and warm enough for me to enjoy. That’s about it for Bondi, but I’m sure I’ll have another go very soon.
            Next up was the ferry ride into (Emma) Watsons Bay where I appropriately had the most British meal of my life. We stopped to get fish and chips and I fancied a warm beverage so I had a cup of tea WITH MILK (Dani and Chi would’ve been so proud). But the views of the Opera House and the Bridge were spectacular, to say the least and I couldn’t believe it’s some peoples commute everyday.
            The next adventure starts off the same, we were lost and didn’t have a plan but we ended up on this rooftop bar next to the Bridge and that too was fantastic (it’s difficult for me to explain these views and the scenery). We then decided to walk across the Bridge and then ended up walking back across the Bridge because we couldn’t catch any sort of transportation.
            Last adventure was to downtown Sydney again to drink and live it up with the Swedish girls. This was the first time I had gone any where without at least one of my roommates but I wasn’t going to pass up an opportunity to hang out with the Swedish girls because I adore them. They don’t know that yet but perhaps they do now! When we arrived to their apartment complex and I see a bunch of marbled floors and walls and I jokingly say to them, “do you guys have the penthouse suite?” And of course they smiled and modestly said it wasn’t but it was on the 31st floor out of 32 so you tell me! Maybe it just felt like a penthouse to me because I was looking over Sydney like a king and I was the only dude there, like some sort of entitlement. But it was a lovely night of drinking, card games and learning about different cultures and getting to know my other international friends.
            Between barbeques, trivia night, drinking and getting to know new people I’ve been figuring out my class schedule and staying busy with the uni (I promise Dad).  But there are points where I realize this isn’t just a vacation, even when I feel like a tourist. It’s real life and better than any vacation I could have planned. These strangers I met are like family now. We’ve all got to look out for one another. This city is another home.

So here’s to getting lost with the best and finding why we’re meant to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment