Wednesday, July 9, 2014

From Assured to Unsure


The flight is set and everything is coming together. I’m beginning the packing process and the realization is starting to set in. Even though I feel my mind is already integrated into the Australian culture, I have low expectations for the study abroad experience. That’s not to say, however, that I expect to have an okay time. I’ve just learned that expectation may lead to devastation and some of the best things in life are surprises. I know that the worst things in life may also be surprises, but I say that light wouldn’t exist without dark. With a clear mind and low expectations the simple things become great things and the great things become blissful.
            Easier said than done though because I’ve already picked out which sports team I want to root for. In the National Rugby League it’s an easy choice, the hometown Parramatta Eels. The decision comes in the Australian Football League, the NFL of Australia. I’ve limited it to two teams, the Greater Western Sydney Giants or the Sydney Swans, and this will most likely be decided upon my arrival. In addition, there are so many things I want to do while abroad and I’m unsure if I should plan anything or wait until I get there. I would love to go to the Outback, to visit Uluru, to travel to the Gold Coast and The Great Barrier Reef, to travel to Tasmania, Adelaide, Melbourne, and even Hobbiton in New Zealand. Between surfing, whale watching, sporting events and partying, it’s difficult to keep my expectations low. I also have classes to attend and grades to maintain.
            I guess what I’m trying to say is that there are always a million reasons not to do something. “If you want something in life, reach out and grab it.” –Christopher McCandless. Such a simple quote, but so in depth and reassuring. I already admit that I know very little in life, and I’m going to be reassured of how unsure I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment