Monday, December 29, 2014

Year in Review

This should be the final Oz Blog for now. I’ve been back for nearly three weeks and I’ve had some time to think about how blessed I am. To begin, I am not sure I was quite ready to leave Australia but at the same time it was time to come back home. Goodbyes are never easy, but I’ve sort of become accustomed to them. It is more difficult to explain the memories I had in Australia than anything else. It is almost frustrating. So much happened in that small amount of time, you have to relearn certain things and adapt to a different habitual life, and then when you come back you have to re-relearn everything and adapt to the same habitual life but you’re used to things being different. It is an odd feeling coming home, and now being in Flagstaff in my new apartment it feels like I never left. I can go back and look at the photos or the videos or whatever but there is still an unreal sense about it. That part is hard to share with friends and family back home. However, it was supposed to be like that. Australia was my independent adventure that brought me a sense of entitlement. I was the American that kid in class who had an accent or that drummer in an American band. I just got used to things.
            I don’t want to sound too whiny because I’m not trying to come off that way. In fact, I am extremely blessed to have the life I life and there are a few people specifically I need to thank. First and foremost my family and especially my mom. My mom is the light of my life and if I ever tell you otherwise I’m a filthy liar. She’s the hardest working, most humble and caring person I know. Both her and my dad have given me the opportunity to grow up where I can go chase my dreams and passions, and it shows. There was rarely a day in Australia where I didn’t think about them and I don’t tell them enough but I am very, very happy to have as my parents. The final person I need to thank is my brother and his beautiful fiancé. I don’t mean to, but I follow my brother in a lot of what he does. Whether it’s drums or music I gravitate towards what my brother likes because he is my biggest influence. He supports me in whatever I do and I can’t thank him enough for being that kind of brother and bestfriend. Both him and his fiancé, Mika, have been an example of what love is, and I will surely gravitate towards their relationship, as I grow older.

            Phew, what a year, right? What a damn good year. False North recorded a single, my brother got engaged, my dog is still bloody adorable and I got to go to Australia to meet people I will never forget. The best part is, IT DOESN’T STOP AFTER THIS YEAR! I have so much to look forward to like the recording of a full length False North album (whaaaaaaat, can’t even believe I’m typing that), the much anticipated Grandlienard-Cosic marriage when I officially get three sisters and a brother, and more traveling (hint-hint)! Junior of college is shaping out to be the best year of my life. Cheers to my mates from all around the world, I love you all, come visit me!

No comments:

Post a Comment